I found out much later than when I ran the code “in the wild” i.e. in a production environment unattached to a debugger, my application was failing.
Long story short, this is caused by the waitForDebugger() call, which will cause any code following your invocation to not be executed if there is no debugger.
I suppose I should have realised, but I had assumed that maybe the runtime or the call itself would be clever enough to know whether the application was in debug mode at all, and ignore it if it wasn’t.
Android Studio is a fickle beast. At times surprisingly clever and useful, and other times a flaky nightmare.
The most recent issue I came across was when a Google Glass project suddenly stopped building with unresolved symbol errors. This manifests itself as all your “com.google.android.glass.*” imports failing, and the resulting use of any object from those libs causing compilation errors.
How to fix it
Eventually I checked my project dependencies and explicitly added the GDK as a library. Bingo, that sorted it out.
Copy the gdk.jar
This will be in your Android SDK directory, under /add-ons/addon-google_gdk-google-19/libs
Paste it into the libs folder in your project directory
Go to File > Project Structure
Select your module (default name is app)
Click the Dependencies tab
Click the “+” sign
Navigate to the libs folder and select the gdk.jar file
OK through everything
I have zero idea why the issue suddenly arose. As with so many other issues I’ve come across in my short time developing for Android, I’ve learned to FDM: fix, document, and move on.
By default Android Studio uses Gradle to build Android projects. This means Android Studio always needs a connection to the internet to check for and retrieve dependencies. If you’re developing from behind a proxy (as I am) then you’ll have to explicitly tell Gradle the proxy details to allow it to connect to its servers.
Steps to fix
Navigate to the “.gradle” folder in your user directory (e.g. C:\Users\bob\.gradle)
Create a “gradle.properties” file
Edit the file to have the following contents (replacing your own values)